2018 Float Awards:
•Rotary Club of Martinsville – William D. Shields Award
•Tabernacle Christian School – Parade Marshal’s Award
•River Valley Christian Church – Bette Nunn Award
•Martinsville First Baptist Church – Mayor’s Award
•Martinsville First Church of the Nazarene – Jimmy Nash
•Apostolic Faith Church – General Chairman
•Gateway Tabernacle – Praise Worthy Award
•Krypton Comics – Maple Leaf Award
•Martinsville FFA – Steve Carrell Award
•Marcy Hannum – William A. Alexander Award
FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL PARADE RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Non-Professional Class: Floats, which are built by non-professional builders. Floats may befunded by businesses and may have advertising.
- Professional Class: Floats, which are built by professional float builders and/or are rented/purchased by any group wishing to be in the parade.
- Length Maximum: Unrestricted (must be able to make 90 degree turns)
- Width Maximum: 20 feet (including outriggers)
- Height Maximum: 13 feet, unless hinged to fold for overhead clearance.
- Animation: Highly desirable, but not required.
- Portable Amplification: Music is highly desirable and must be indicated on application. Individual voices for commercial purposes are not permitted.
- Safety Requirements:
- Handholds or other supports MUST be provided whenever float personnel stand.
- Reinforcement on each float to support the weight of the personnel is required.
- Absolutely NO ONE will be allowed to hang over the side or dangle feet from any vehicle in the parade.
- No smoking on or near the float.
- A fire extinguisher should be on each unit.
- No sharp or pointed edges are to be exposed on the unit.
- Tow units should be decorated to compliment the theme of the float.
- Drivers of the tow units are the responsibility of the entrant, and the driver.
- Every rider in any unit in the parade must sit within the confines and structure of the unit.
Method of Scoring: Each category may receive a maximum of 5 points. A score of 5 points signifies “outstanding”, a score of 3 points signifies “average”, and a 0 signifies “not eligible for award”.
- Towing Vehicle: The towing unit should be fully decorated to blend with the float.
- Use of Animation: Animation may be mechanical movement or human movement. If humanmovement is used, the persons should be costumed and be part of the theme of the unit.
- Representation of parade theme.
- Use colors theme oriented or fall colors oriented.
- Cleverness and originality.
- General eye appeal.
All floats will be judged in two categories: non-professional and professional. If the unit has personnel on it, they should be on the unit for judging. The float receiving the highest total score (all judges scores added together) will receive the first place award. Awards will be presented in descending order.
- Floats must be in the judging area by 10:30 am. Once judged, the floats may move to the line-up area.
- Children riding on a float are to be supervised.
- Any use of “Queen” must have prior approval by the parade chairman.
- Floats requiring assembly in Martinsville may be done in a designated area. Units will beresponsible for their own clean up.
- Units are to maintain a 2 M.P.H. speed limit during the parade.
- The marshalling area will be at Martinsville High School at 1360 Gray Street, Martinsville,Indiana. Identified personnel will be available to assist you. On Parade Day, they will be wearing orange official badges. YOU MUST BRING YOUR PARADE PLACEMENT NOTIFICATION WITH YOU. PLEASE BE CERTAIN ALL PERSONS IN YOUR UNIT HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE PLACEMENT LOCATION. (All horse and llama units report to the Fair Grounds.)
- All units MUST be in place by 12:00 pm on Parade Day. The parade will step off at 1:00 pm sharp. All eligible floats will be judged prior to 11:30 am.
- No “For Sale” signs may appear on any unit in the parade. All vehicles are expected to be cleaned prior to arriving in the marshalling area.
- Each political party is allowed ONE float. Candidates are permitted to walk but must stay within 10 feet of their political party’s float. (If running for re-election you may use your own vehicle.)
- Non-driving occupants of vehicles must stay in or with their vehicle during the parade.
- Any awards earned will be presented as your unit passes by the reviewing stand.
- A CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION AND YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SIGNED OR YOUR ENTRY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
THE USE OF ALCOHOL AND ANY OTHER DRUGS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED BY PARADE PARTICIPANTS. IF SUSPECTED OF BEING UNDER THE INFLUENCE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PARADE.